It has been a while since I have written a post. So as to not disappoint my one reader out there , I am making time to do so today.
I have been really busy actually – to a point where creating blog entries has fallen below the ZBB line. (Now, I am pretty sure ZBB is a foreign term to many — it is an acronym used at my old company that stands for Zero Baseline Budget. Actually I don’t know what that means, per se, but the gist is if something falls below the ZBB line, it doesn’t get done for that quarter).
So what has kept me so busy. Let me give you an idea of my daily schedule.
- 6:30 AM Wake-Up
- 6:30-8:00 A little email, eat breakfast, get the boys ready for daycare
- 8:00-12:00 After seeing the kids off to daycare, I work. I have the fortunate opportunity of having another consulting effort, this time where I am the lead editor on creating a technical specification.
- 12:00-12:30 Take a walk around the block
- 12:30 PM -1:30 Pick up the kids from daycare, put them down for their nap
- 1:30-2:00 Eat lunch
- 2:00-6:00 More work after spouse comes home and watches kids
- 6:00-8:00 COMPUTER OFF LIMITS, spend time with the family
- 8:00 Put the kids down for bed
- 8:00-10:00 Eat dinner, down time, relax
- 10:00 PM Bed time
So between my consulting job and my family, I am kept super busy. The weekends are generally kept for family time and some outdoor adventures.
The bigger question for me is how the work I am currently doing affects my overall sole proprietor / Micro-ISV plan. I am using this technical editor opportunity to decide if this is something I would like to do long term. What this has going for it is:
- Flexible hours
- Good pay
- Interesting (at least for now) work
- Oh, and did I say good pay (i.e. a real paycheck)
If I decide I do want to continue down this career path, my plan for starting my Micro-ISV may indeed change. I know I will have some downtime where I will need to be doing something. The well will run dry for short or long periods of time. In fact, I do have an idea that I have been throwing around in my head (I have the domain name reserved and the software idea floating around). But being a “full-time” Micro-ISV has now not a certainty.
We’ll see. Stay tuned. I will keep you updated.
Until then, best wishes!